- Here's what I came up with for my solution…to this challenge.…I added a third animation called swing to the very end,…so the letters kind of swing back and forth…on the Y axis, ever so slightly, after they flip down.…Let's take a look at the CSS behind my solution.…My swing animation has six keyframes…that add a rotation on the Y axis…to the existing negative 180-degree rotation…on the X axis.…Notice how I carried the rotation on the X axis…through each keyframe.…If I didn't, the transform property would have been…overwritten and that X rotation would no longer be there.…
The fact that the transforms are all wrapped up…into one property makes this necessary.…In the future, these might get separated out…into their own properties, which would make…this sort of animation much easier.…But, for now, be sure to carry through…your transform values.…And, for more advanced, compounded transforms,…look at the matrix transform property.…I applied my swing animation to each letter…using the same timing function…as the flip-down animation,…
Web designer Val Head introduces CSS transforms and transitions—the foundation of most CSS animations—and shows how to keyframe simple animations and adjust their timing, fill, and direction. She also covers looping and chaining animations, animating HTML and SVG elements, and optimizing animation performance, and introduces the best tools and use cases for CSS animation. Start watching to get your brand in motion.
- Using CSS transforms and transitions
- Working with animation-delay and animation-fill-mode
- Timing and easing CSS animations
- Animating elements in place
- Animating sprite images
- Animating CSS transforms and transitions
- Chaining multiple animations
- Animating SVG images
- Creating high-performance CSS animations
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Overview of CSS Transitions and Transforms
2. Understanding CSS Animations
3. CSS Animation Building Blocks
4. Applying CSS Animations to SVG
5. Performance, Browser Support, and Fallbacks
6. Tools for Creating CSS Animations
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.