Join James Williamson for an in-depth discussion in this video Formatting text, part of CSS Fundamentals.
- [Voiceover] So now that we know a little bit more…about how fonts work with CSS, let's take a look…at how they're formatted.…While CSS doesn't provide you with quite the level…of control over typography that most desktop…publishing programs do, it still has some very powerful…typographic options when writing styles.…As we begin to exploring text formatting options,…we'll not only examine the properties themselves,…but we're also going to see them in action…as we preview how the styles we're discussing…affect a sample HTML page.…Keep in mind that, in this course, we're going…to concentrate on more of the concept…than the actual syntax itself.…
If you're looking for a deeper dive…into the ins and outs of the syntax,…I would recommend exploring some…of the other CSS courses in the Lynda.com…online training library.…Okay, let's start with something we've already discussed:…choosing a font.…To define fonts, you use the font-family property.…You can define a single font, or you can provide…a fallback list of fonts, separated by commas,…
CSS Fundamentals covers the basic concepts, terminology, and techniques you need to read and write CSS. It's for people who want a big-picture overview before taking hands-on courses. Author James Williamson explains how CSS affects text, borders, backgrounds, and images; how CSS works with HTML; and how the W3C's evolving CSS specification impacts designers. He also reviews some of the most popular CSS editors and frameworks and lists online tools and resources for further study.
- What is CSS?
- Basic selector types
- Using CSS with HTML
- How browsers render CSS differently
- Exploring CSS specifications
- Checking browser support
- Working with fonts
- Understanding the box model
- Adjusting margins and padding
- Positioning elements
- Basic CSS layout concepts
- Media types and media queries
- Working with CSS frameworks and CSS grids
Skill Level Beginner
Design the Web: Pie Charts with CSSwith Chris Converse25m 33s Beginner
1. CSS Basics
2. CSS Specifications
3. Common CSS Concepts
4. CSS Resources
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.