Join Val Head for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring the goals of typography and responsive design, part of Responsive Typography Techniques.
…You may have heard the quote that web design is 95% typography before.…Whether or not that number is actually accurate, it's easy to see that typography…is important in a medium where so much of our content is displayed in text.…Starting with type and with typographic design decisions sets…a good foundation for the rest of our design process.…With Type affecting so much of our content,…its a fundamental place for us to start.…There are more and more web…type options out there everyday.…Which means we have even more reason to consider typography early.…
On this slide I have screen shots from a number of web font providers.…But this isn't even the complete list.…This gives us near limitless options to choose from.…All the more reason to look at typography early.…Responsive web design, changes the way we need to look at our web typography.…When designing for a multitude of screen…sizes, we look to designing system and find…ways to maintain consistencies across all the…various ways our layout may be rendered.…
- Deciding between self-hosted and hosted web fonts
- Sizing your type with pixels, ems, and rems
- Applying and choosing a typographic scale
- Creating a font stack
- Maintaining line lengths
- Using media queries to set natural typographic break points
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Comparing and Choosing Web Fonts
2. Establishing Rhythm in Your Typographic System
3. Creating Type Prototype Pages
Establishing the font stack7m 32s
4. Setting Type for Readability Across Screen Sizes
5. Helpful Online Tools and Scripts
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.