Join James Williamson for an in-depth discussion in this video Exploring CSS specifications, part of CSS Fundamentals.
- View Offline
- [Voiceover] Now that we have a better handle…on how to keep track of what's going on with CSS,…let's narrow our focus a bit…on how to explore and read CSS specifications.…The CSS modules are technical documents…and learning from them can be a bit of a tour…if you're not familiar with their format.…In this movie I want to walk you through the process…of using the W3C site to learn more about a specific subject…and how to use the specifications as reference documents…as you're learning and offering CSS.…Let's start with the subject that we've already discussed…in a little bit of detail, and that would be CSS selectors.…
Now if we go to the W3C's Current Work page,…which I recommend any time you're looking for information…on CSS, this is really where I'd start.…We can see that if I begin to scroll down a little bit…in the completed specifications,…right there we have this Selectors Level 3 module.…Now, if we click the name of this, it's going to take us…to the most recent version of that specification.…Now, there are ways other than the Current Work page…
CSS Fundamentals covers the basic concepts, terminology, and techniques you need to read and write CSS. It's for people who want a big-picture overview before taking hands-on courses. Author James Williamson explains how CSS affects text, borders, backgrounds, and images; how CSS works with HTML; and how the W3C's evolving CSS specification impacts designers. He also reviews some of the most popular CSS editors and frameworks and lists online tools and resources for further study.
- What is CSS?
- Basic selector types
- Using CSS with HTML
- How browsers render CSS differently
- Exploring CSS specifications
- Checking browser support
- Working with fonts
- Understanding the box model
- Adjusting margins and padding
- Positioning elements
- Basic CSS layout concepts
- Media types and media queries
- Working with CSS frameworks and CSS grids