Join Carrie Dils for an in-depth discussion in this video Creating a mobile-first layout, part of Responsive CSS Workflow with Sass, Bourbon, and Susy.
- [Instructor] Years ago, a fellow named Ethan Marcotte…coined the term "responsive web design".…And what we've come to think of responsive web design is…that basically the website changes…based on the viewport size that it's being looked at in.…Real quickly here,…I'm going to open up Chrome's Inspector tools,…and they have a built-in mobile emulator.…So let's look at that and see what our site,…as it currently stands,…would look like on an iPhone 6.…And of course, we haven't done anything…with this layout here,…so there's not a whole lot to go on.…
But before we start with our layout,…I did want to talk a little bit about responsive web design.…I actually want to go beyond just responsive web design…and look at something that's called mobile-first design.…When you approach something from mobile-first,…that means that you're going to write your code,…write your CSS in a way that smaller devices…can still access the styles needed for that…without having to download and wade though all the styles…that would be needed for a desktop device.…
- Reviewing what Sass is and how it works
- Analyzing workflow options
- Setting up a folder structure
- Adding version control
- Working with package managers
- Setting up a workflow with Grunt
- Scaffolding HTML
- Modularizing a Sass with partials
- Creating a color palette with variables
- Using Font Awesome
- Creating a mobile-first layout
Skill Level Intermediate
Building a Responsive Single-Page Design with Sasswith Ray Villalobos4h 55m Intermediate
CSS to Sass: Converting an Existing Sitewith John Riviello2h 28m Intermediate
1. Getting Started
2. Working with Package Managers
3. Setting Up a Workflow with Grunt.js
4. Scaffolding Your HTML
5. Sass Principles
6. Styling with Sass and Bourbon
7. Responsive Layout Grids with Susy
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.