Join James Williamson for an in-depth discussion in this video CSS authoring options, part of Learning CSS.
- When authoring your CSS,…you have a few options available to you…as to where you can write your styles.…In this movie, I want to cover those options…and how they're gonna impact your overall site.…Now basically, styles can be located…in one of three different locations.…First, you can place styles in their own separate CSS file.…This is usually referred to as an External Styles Sheet.…Secondly, you can place styles in the head…of an existing HTML document.…This is usually referred to as an Embedded Style.…
Finally, you can also apply styles directly…to an HTML element…which is referred to as an Inline Style.…Let's take a look at each of these styles…in a little bit more detail.…External Style Sheets are simply text files…with a .css extension.…Typically they'll hold multiple styles…that are designed to control an entire site…or section of a site.…You apply these styles to pages…by using a link tag in the head of a document.…Using a link tag, you can even specify…what type of media you would like to apply the styles to…
CSS Fundamentals covers the basic concepts, terminology, and techniques you need to read and write CSS. It's for people who want a big-picture overview before taking hands-on courses. Author James Williamson explains how CSS affects text, borders, backgrounds, and images; how CSS works with HTML; and how the W3C's evolving CSS specification impacts designers. He also reviews some of the most popular CSS editors and frameworks and lists online tools and resources for further study.
- What is CSS?
- Basic selector types
- Using CSS with HTML
- How browsers render CSS differently
- Exploring CSS specifications
- Checking browser support
- Working with fonts
- Understanding the box model
- Adjusting margins and padding
- Positioning elements
- Basic CSS layout concepts
- Media types and media queries
- Working with CSS frameworks and CSS grids
Skill Level Beginner
Design the Web: Pie Charts with CSSwith Chris Converse25m 33s Beginner
1. CSS Basics
2. CSS Specifications
3. Common CSS Concepts
4. CSS Resources
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.