Join James Williamson for an in-depth discussion in this video Basic CSS layout concepts, part of Learning CSS.
- Now that we've learned a little bit…about positioning elements with CSS…and how the various methods of positioning work,…I want to walk through one of the more common strategies…used by designers when creating CSS space layouts.…Now with this movie,…I'm not advocating one specific…layout technique over another.…As you learn CSS, you'll soon see that…there are about as many variations…on how to create CSS layouts as there are designers.…I just want to give you a starting point…so that you can see how designers…typically approach page layout…and how various techniques are combined…to drive the overall page design.…
I want to start with the concept of page regions.…Most designers will create a quick mockup…of pages with content regions just sort of blocked out.…This will allow them to design towards…the functionality of the site…and consider content first…before getting caught up in the visual design.…It also allows designers to start thinking…about the structure of their HTML.…Each one of these content regions…will most likely be represented in the page structure…
CSS Fundamentals covers the basic concepts, terminology, and techniques you need to read and write CSS. It's for people who want a big-picture overview before taking hands-on courses. Author James Williamson explains how CSS affects text, borders, backgrounds, and images; how CSS works with HTML; and how the W3C's evolving CSS specification impacts designers. He also reviews some of the most popular CSS editors and frameworks and lists online tools and resources for further study.
- What is CSS?
- Basic selector types
- Using CSS with HTML
- How browsers render CSS differently
- Exploring CSS specifications
- Checking browser support
- Working with fonts
- Understanding the box model
- Adjusting margins and padding
- Positioning elements
- Basic CSS layout concepts
- Media types and media queries
- Working with CSS frameworks and CSS grids
Skill Level Beginner
Design the Web: Pie Charts with CSSwith Chris Converse25m 29s Beginner
1. CSS Basics
2. CSS Specifications
3. Common CSS Concepts
4. CSS Resources
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.