Join Chris Converse for an in-depth discussion in this video Adding the navigation, part of Creating a Responsive Web Design.
- Now we're going to build the content that goes inside…of the Navigation element.…Now typically, people use unordered lists to great menus…because there's a built-in hierarchy in HTML…in the way that we define and nest bullet lists…or numbered lists.…So in this case we'll have an outer UL,…which will be the outermost unordered list.…We'll have individual list items inside of there.…And then when we put an unordered list inside…of a list item, this is going to be one of our sub-menus.…And we're going to put three levels of menus…inside of this Navigation element,…which means for a third level menu…that will be inside of an LI, which is inside of…another UL, which is inside of an LI,…which is inside of another UL.…
So to build up this content, let's go back to our HTML file.…Let's find our Nav element.…Let's split this open,…and in the top level we're going to add a UL tag here.…We'll add a few returns.…We'll end that unordered list.…Inside of here we're going to add an LI.…We'll end that element as well.…Let's split this open, and then inside of the list items…
The exercise files for this course are free to all members. Download them and start creating your own responsive websites today.
- Planning your layout
- Creating HTML containers, content, and links
- Creating and styling the layout with CSS
- Creating a menu system
- Styling headings, body text, and footers
- Styling and repositioning navigation links
- Swapping high-resolution graphics for Retina displays
- Making sure content is printable
Skill Level Beginner
1. Preparing the HTML Content and Structure
2. Creating the Style and Layout with CSS
3. Creating a Menu System with CSS
4. Making Layout Adjustments for Large and Medium Screens
5. Making Adjustments for Small Screens
6. Making Adjustments for the Smallest Screens
7. Making Layout and Content Adjustments for Print
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.