The radio waves that carry wireless network traffic are affected by many different characteristics as they travel across an area. Building materials, antenna placement, power levels, and many other characteristics can alter the flow, or propagation, of wireless signals. In this video, learn how different conditions affect wireless signal propagation, including antenna types and beamforming, site surveys and antenna placement, and power level controls.
- [Instructor] The radio waves…that carry wireless network traffic…are affected by many different characteristics…as they travel across an area.…Building materials, antenna placement,…wireless power levels, and many other characteristics…can alter the flow, or propagation, of wireless signals.…First, there are many different types…of wireless antennas that may be used.…While many organizations use the simple antennas…built into wireless access points,…there are other options available.…
There are two basic categories of antenna.…The basic antennas used with wireless access points…are known as omnidirectional antennas.…They transmit radio waves in a donut-shaped pattern.…The short, stubby pole-like antennas…attached to wireless access points…are known as rubber ducks and are examples…of omnidirectional antennas,…antennas that send that wireless signal…in almost every direction.…In some cases, network administrators may wish…to point a wireless signal in a specific direction…such as when they're creating a point-to-point network…
Note: This course is part of a series releasing throughout 2018. A completed learning path of the series will be available once all the courses are released.
- How IP addresses are assigned and managed
- Multilayer protocols
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Designing secure networks
- Firewall management techniques
- Maintaining network availability
- Software defined networking (SDN)
- Port isolation
- Network attacks
- How Wi-Fi networks function
- WPA, WPS, and propagation attacks
- Host-based network security control
Skill Level Advanced
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
1. TCP/IP Networking
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Specialized Networking
5. Secure Network Management
6. Virtualized Networks
Port isolation1m 47s
7. Network Attacks
8. Transport Encryption
9. Wireless Networking
10. Host Security
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.