Backups play a crucial role in an organization's disaster recovery strategy. In this video, learn how organizations test backups to verify that they were completed properly and are ensuring the continued availability of critical business information in the event of a disaster.
- [Narrator] Backups play a crucial role…in an organization's disaster recovery strategy.…But it's surprising how often organizations…fail to properly test those backups…to verify that they were completed properly,…and that they're ensuring the continued availability…of critical business information…in the event of a disaster.…One of the most important data protection…actions that you can take…is regularly verifying your backups…to ensure that they're functioning properly.…There are several different types…of backup tests that you should perform.…
First, all modern backup software has…built-in verification mechanisms.…You can use these mechanisms to validate…that the backup was successful…immediately after creating the backup.…This is just the bare bones of backup verification…because you are relying upon the software…that performed the backup…to tell you that it worked properly.…However, it's amazing how many organizations…have this verification feature turned off,…either because they never bothered…to turn it on in the first place,…
Find the companion study books at the Sybex test prep site and review the complete CISSP Body of Knowledge at https://www.isc2.org/cissp-domains/default.aspx.
Note: This course is part of a series releasing throughout 2018. A completed Learning Path of the series will be available once all the courses are released.
- Using security assessment tools
- Scanning for vulnerabilities
- Threat assessment techniques
- Performing penetration testing
- Reviewing monitor logs
- Performing code reviews
- Performing fuzz testing and misuse case testing
- Analyzing coverage
- Assessing disaster recovery sites and backups
- Testing BC/DR plans
- Collecting security process data and metrics
- Auditing and control management