Digital certificates allow for the secure exchange of public encryption keys over otherwise untrusted networks. Transport encryption technology such as Transport Layer Security, or TLS, uses those certificates to facilitate secure communication over those public networks. In this video, learn about the role of TLS in protecting data and how it uses both public and session keys. Also, learn the importance of choosing strong TLS cipher suites.
- [Instructor] Digital certificates allow…for the secure exchange of public encryption keys…over otherwise untrusted networks.…Transport encryption technologies…such as Transport Layer Security or TLS,…uses those certificates to facilitate secure…communication over those same public networks.…Let's explore TLS by describing the process…that two systems follow when they wish to set up…an encrypted session protected by TLS.…First, the client sends a request to the server…asking the server initiate a secure session.…
This request includes a list of the cipher suites…supported by the client.…It's important to understand that TLS…is only a protocol that uses other cryptic…graphic algorithms.…TLS is not a cryptic graphic algorithm itself,…therefore, you can't encrypt something with TLS.…You can use TLS to apply other encryption algorithms.…The listing of cipher suites sent by the client…to the server is a laundry list…of the encryption algorithms, hash functions…and other cryptographic details that the client understands.…
Looking for study partners?Join the CISSP Exam study group
The Certified Information System Security Professional (CISSP) certification is an important component of any security professional's resume, and is a requirement for many top jobs. In this course, prepare for the fourth domain of the exam: Communications and Network Security. Instructor and cybersecurity expert Mike Chapple goes over TCP/IP networking, network security devices, and secure network design. Mike also includes coverage of specialized networking, network attacks, wireless networking, and more. The CISSP exam domains can be found here.
- How IP addresses are assigned and managed
- Multilayer protocols
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Designing secure networks
- Firewall management techniques
- Maintaining network availability
- Software defined networking (SDN)
- Port isolation
- Network attacks
- How Wi-Fi networks function
- WPA, WPS, and propagation attacks
- Host-based network security control
Skill Level Advanced
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Networking
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Specialized Networking
5. Secure Network Management
6. Virtualized Networks
Port isolation1m 47s
7. Network Attacks
8. Transport Encryption
9. Wireless Networking
10. Host Security
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.