Digital certificates allow for the secure exchange of public encryption keys over otherwise untrusted networks. Transport encryption technology such as Transport Layer Security, or TLS, uses those certificates to facilitate secure communication over those public networks. Learn the role of TLS in protecting data and how it uses both public and session keys. You will also learn the importance of choosing strong TLS cipher suites.
- [Narrator] Digital certificates allow…for the secure exchange of public encryption keys…over otherwise untrusted networks.…Transport encryption technology,…such as Transport Layer Security,…or TLS, uses those certificates…to facilitate secure communication…over those same public networks.…Let's explore TLS by describing the process…that two systems follow…when they wish to set up an encrypted session…protected by TLS.…First, the client sends a request to the server,…asking that the server initiate a secure session.…
This request includes a list of the cipher suites…supported by the client.…It's important to understand that TLS is only a protocol…that uses other cryptographic algorithms.…TLS is not a cryptographic algorithm, itself.…Therefore, you can't encrypt something with TLS.…You can use TLS to apply other encryption algorithms.…The listing of cipher suites…sent by the client to the server,…is a laundry list of the encryption algorithms,…hash functions, and other cryptographic details…that the client understands.…
Learn about communication and networking best practices, including TCP/IP networking, network security devices, and secure network design and management. Instructor and cybersecurity expert Mike Chapple also includes coverage of converged protocols, network encryption, and wireless networking. You can find Mike's companion study books for this series at the Sybex test prep site and review the complete CISSP Body of Knowledge at https://www.isc2.org/cissp-domains/default.aspx.
- IP addressing
- Switches and routers
- Content distribution networks
- Designing secure networks
- Specialized networking
- Managing secure networks
- Working with virtualized networks like SDNs
- Detecting and preventing network attaches
- Transport encryption
- Wireless networking
- Host security
Skill Level Advanced
CISSP Cert Prep: 2 Asset Securitywith Mike Chapple58m 11s Advanced
1. TCP/IP Networking
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Specialized Networking
5. Secure Network Management
6. Virtualized Networks
Port isolation1m 47s
7. Network Attacks
8. Transport Encryption
9. Wireless Networking
10. Host Security
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.