There are many different kinds of encryption algorithms and there are different ways that we can categorize them. Two of the major categories of encryption algorithms are symmetric and asymmetric algorithms. In this video, learn the differences between symmetric and asymmetric cryptography.
- View Offline
- [Instructor] There are many different kinds…of encryption algorithms…and there are different ways that we can categorize them.…Two of the major categories of encryption algorithms…are symmetric and asymmetric algorithms.…You're probably already familiar…with the concept of symmetry,…meaning that two things are the same.…Symmetric shapes have two sides…that, when divided along an axis, are identical.…The human face is an example of a symmetric object.…
In cryptography, symmetry relates to keys,…rather than shapes.…We have two categories of encryption algorithms.…In symmetric encryption algorithms,…also known as shared secret encryption algorithms,…the encryption and decryption operations use the same key.…If one user encrypts a message using the secret key, apple,…the second user would then decrypt the message…using that same key, apple.…It's a shared secret.…
Asymmetric encryption algorithms, on the other hand,…use different keys for encryption and decryption.…They're also known as public key encryption algorithms…
Members who take all eight courses in the series will be prepared to take and pass the CISSP exam. Find the companion study books at the Sybex test prep site and review the complete CISSP Body of Knowledge at https://www.isc2.org/cissp-domains/default.aspx.
- Understanding security and evaluation models
- Cloud computing and virtualization
- Securing hardware
- Client and server vulnerabilities
- Web security vulnerabilities
- Securing mobile and smart devices
- Understanding encryption
- Key management and public key infrastructure
- Physical security
Skill Level Advanced
Essentials of Cryptography and Network Securitywith Lisa Bock1h 45m Intermediate
CISSP Cert Prep: 2 Asset Securitywith Mike Chapple58m 11s Advanced
1. Security Engineering
2. Cloud Computing and Virtualization
3. Hardware Security
4. Client and Server Vulnerabilities
5. Web Security
6. Mobile Security
7. Smart Device Security
9. Symmetric Cryptography
10. Asymmetric Cryptography
11. Key Management
12. Public Key Infrastructure
13. Cryptanalytic Attacks
14. Physical Security
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.