Network administrators should also be concerned about the security of switches under their care. In this video, learn about physical security for network switches, the use of VLANs for switched network security, and the use of port security techniques.
- [Instructor] Network administrators should also…be concerned about the security…of switches under their care.…One of the most important security tasks…surrounding switches is maintaining…physical security of the device.…Unlike routers, which are normally centrally located…in secure data centers or network rooms,…switches are generally spread all over the place…providing connectivity at the edge of the network…in every building and floor throughout…an organization's physical facilities.…From a security perspective this can be a nightmare,…because it's critical to keep those switches locked away…where nobody can physical access them without authorization.…
The reason for this is simple.…If someone gains physical access to your switch,…they can take physical control…of that portion of the network.…Earlier in the course you learned how virtual LANs,…or VLANs, may be used to increase the security of networks…by isolating unrelated systems and users from each other.…Switch administrators should implement some common practices…
Looking for study partners?Join the CISSP Exam study group
The Certified Information System Security Professional (CISSP) certification is an important component of any security professional's resume, and is a requirement for many top jobs. In this course, prepare for the fourth domain of the exam: Communications and Network Security. Instructor and cybersecurity expert Mike Chapple goes over TCP/IP networking, network security devices, and secure network design. Mike also includes coverage of specialized networking, network attacks, wireless networking, and more. The CISSP exam domains can be found here.
- How IP addresses are assigned and managed
- Multilayer protocols
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Designing secure networks
- Firewall management techniques
- Maintaining network availability
- Software defined networking (SDN)
- Port isolation
- Network attacks
- How Wi-Fi networks function
- WPA, WPS, and propagation attacks
- Host-based network security control
Skill Level Advanced
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Networking
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Specialized Networking
5. Secure Network Management
6. Virtualized Networks
Port isolation1m 47s
7. Network Attacks
8. Transport Encryption
9. Wireless Networking
10. Host Security
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.