Port isolation, also known as private VLANs, is a network security technique that restricts the ability of devices plugged into a particular network port to communicate. In this video, learn how port isolation can increase network security, particularly in cases where users of the network might not be trusted.
- [Instructor] Port isolation…is a network security technique…that is particularly useful when…users of the network do not trust each other…and are not trusted themselves.…I'm using the term port isolation in this video…because it's used in the CISSP body knowledge.…Networking professions typically call this technology…private VLANS.…Port isolation and private VLANs are the same thing.…The way that port isolation works is pretty simple.…
When configured on the switch,…port isolation limits traffic from a device…plugged into a particular port to a single destination port.…For example, if port isolation is turned on and configured…so that a network port is only able to communicate with…the uplink port, used to connect a switch…to the rest of the network.…Systems plugged into the isolated port…will be unable to communicate with other devices…on the same switch using the data link layer.…
Why would you want to do this?…Port isolation prevents devices on the same switch…from communicating with each other.…This blocks many types of attacks, such as ARP spoofing,…
Looking for study partners?Join the CISSP Exam study group
The Certified Information System Security Professional (CISSP) certification is an important component of any security professional's resume, and is a requirement for many top jobs. In this course, prepare for the fourth domain of the exam: Communications and Network Security. Instructor and cybersecurity expert Mike Chapple goes over TCP/IP networking, network security devices, and secure network design. Mike also includes coverage of specialized networking, network attacks, wireless networking, and more. The CISSP exam domains can be found here.
- How IP addresses are assigned and managed
- Multilayer protocols
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Designing secure networks
- Firewall management techniques
- Maintaining network availability
- Software defined networking (SDN)
- Port isolation
- Network attacks
- How Wi-Fi networks function
- WPA, WPS, and propagation attacks
- Host-based network security control
Skill Level Advanced
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Networking
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Specialized Networking
5. Secure Network Management
6. Virtualized Networks
Port isolation1m 47s
7. Network Attacks
8. Transport Encryption
9. Wireless Networking
10. Host Security
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.