Firewalls and network devices are on the front lines of security and their logs contain important information for security professionals. These logs are useful when investigating security incidents, troubleshooting network issues, and monitoring for suspicious activity. In this video, learn the importance of collecting and analyzing network device log files.
- [Narrator] Firewalls and network devices are on the…front lines of security.…And their logs contain important information…for security professionals.…These logs are useful when investigating security incidents,…troubleshooting network issues and monitoring…for suspicious activity.…Firewall logs are one of the richest possible…sources of information.…When configured properly, firewalls create log entries…for each and every connection attempted on a network.…Whether it was allowed or denied.…
The log entry contains quite a bit of useful information,…including details about the attempted connection,…including the source and destination ports and IP addresses,…a timestamp indicating when the connection took place,…and the identity of the firewall rule that either…authorized or denied the connection.…Let's think about some scenarios when these logs…might be very useful.…First, in the aftermath of a security incident,…the logs may show all of the connections attempted…on a network.…
This likely includes the connections used…
Looking for study partners?Join the CISSP Exam study group
The Certified Information System Security Professional (CISSP) certification is an important component of any security professional's resume, and is a requirement for many top jobs. In this course, prepare for the fourth domain of the exam: Communications and Network Security. Instructor and cybersecurity expert Mike Chapple goes over TCP/IP networking, network security devices, and secure network design. Mike also includes coverage of specialized networking, network attacks, wireless networking, and more. The CISSP exam domains can be found here.
- How IP addresses are assigned and managed
- Multilayer protocols
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Designing secure networks
- Firewall management techniques
- Maintaining network availability
- Software defined networking (SDN)
- Port isolation
- Network attacks
- How Wi-Fi networks function
- WPA, WPS, and propagation attacks
- Host-based network security control
Skill Level Advanced
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Networking
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Specialized Networking
5. Secure Network Management
6. Virtualized Networks
Port isolation1m 47s
7. Network Attacks
8. Transport Encryption
9. Wireless Networking
10. Host Security
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.