Intrusion detection and prevention systems play an extremely important role in the defense of networks against hackers and other security threats. They sit on the network and monitor traffic, searching for signs of potentially malicious traffic. In this video, learn the use of network intrusion detection and prevention systems as well as the modeling techniques used by IDS/IPS: behavior, signature, anomaly, and heuristic.
- [Instructor] Intrusion detection and prevention systems…play an extremely important role in the defense…of networks against hackers and other security threats.…Intrusion detection systems sit on the network…and monitor traffic, searching for signs…of potential malicious activity.…For example, an intrusion detection system might notice…that a request bound for a web server,…contains a SQL injection attack,…that a malformed packet…is attempting to create a denial of service,…that a user's login attempt seems unusual…based upon the time of day and prior patterns of activity…or that a system on the internal network is attempting…to contact a botnet command and control server.…
All of these situations are examples of security issues…that administrators would obviously want to know about.…Intrusion detection systems identify the situation…and then alert administrators…to any issues for further investigation.…In many cases, administrators are not available…to immediately review alerts and take action…or are simply overwhelmed by the sheer volume…
Note: This course is part of a series releasing throughout 2018. A completed learning path of the series will be available once all the courses are released.
- How IP addresses are assigned and managed
- Multilayer protocols
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Designing secure networks
- Firewall management techniques
- Maintaining network availability
- Software defined networking (SDN)
- Port isolation
- Network attacks
- How Wi-Fi networks function
- WPA, WPS, and propagation attacks
- Host-based network security control
Skill Level Advanced
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
1. TCP/IP Networking
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Specialized Networking
5. Secure Network Management
6. Virtualized Networks
Port isolation1m 47s
7. Network Attacks
8. Transport Encryption
9. Wireless Networking
10. Host Security
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.