In mandatory access control, or MAC, systems, the operating system itself restricts the permissions that may be granted to users and processes on system resources. Users themselves cannot modify permissions. After completing this video, you will understand the concept of mandatory access controls and rule-based access controls.
- [Narrator] Mandatory Access Control systems are the most…stringent type of access control.…In Mandatory Access Control, or MAC systems,…the operating system, itself, restricts the permissions…that may be granted to users and processes…on system resources.…Users, themselves, cannot modify permissions.…For this reason, MAC is rarely fully implemented…on production systems outside of highly secure environments.…MAC is normally implemented as a rule-based…access control system where users, and resources,…have labels and the operating system…makes access control decisions by comparing those labels.…
The most common example…of an operating system implementing MAC…is Security-Enhanced Linux, or SELinux,…a Linux kernel security module…developed by the US National Security Agency in the 1990's,…and included in some of Linux distributions,…including Red Hat Enterprises Linux, CentOS, and Fedora.…So let's take a look at a brief demonstration.…I have here an ssh session…open to a Linux system running Red Hat Enterprise Linux…
- Identity and access management overview
- Identification mechanisms: user names, access cards, biometrics, and registration
- Authentication factors
- Password authentication protocols
- Identity as a service (IDaaS)
- Enforcing accountability
- Managing credentials with policies
- Using access control lists
- Defending against access control attacks
Skill Level Advanced
1. Identity and Access Management
5. Credential Management
7. Access Control Attacks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.