Load balancers, proxies, and web security gateways play important roles in ensuring the reliability and security of web applications and user access to external web content. In this video, learn the basic functioning of each of these three devices and the role they play in enterprise security.
- [Instructor] Some devices play a hybrid role,…serving as both important network devices…and significant security controls.…In this video, we look at three of these hybrid devices:…load balancers, proxies, and web security gateways.…Basic web server configurations look something like this,…assigning an IP address to a web server…located on a DMZ network.…Network administrators then create a DNS entry…that ties the registered domain name for the server,…let's say www.myserver.com,…to the IP address of that server.…
Then, when users type myserver.com into their web browser,…they connect to that web server located in the DMZ.…This works well as long as the web server can keep up…with those requests from users.…Eventually, if the website grows, the demand for the content…will exceed the capacity of the server.…Administrators might respond by making the server bigger,…but eventually the demand may grow again,…requiring a bigger and bigger server.…This approach is not scalable, because eventually,…administrators won't be able to purchase a bigger server…
Looking for study partners?Join the CISSP Exam study group
The Certified Information System Security Professional (CISSP) certification is an important component of any security professional's resume, and is a requirement for many top jobs. In this course, prepare for the fourth domain of the exam: Communications and Network Security. Instructor and cybersecurity expert Mike Chapple goes over TCP/IP networking, network security devices, and secure network design. Mike also includes coverage of specialized networking, network attacks, wireless networking, and more. The CISSP exam domains can be found here.
- How IP addresses are assigned and managed
- Multilayer protocols
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Designing secure networks
- Firewall management techniques
- Maintaining network availability
- Software defined networking (SDN)
- Port isolation
- Network attacks
- How Wi-Fi networks function
- WPA, WPS, and propagation attacks
- Host-based network security control
Skill Level Advanced
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Networking
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Specialized Networking
5. Secure Network Management
6. Virtualized Networks
Port isolation1m 47s
7. Network Attacks
8. Transport Encryption
9. Wireless Networking
10. Host Security
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.