The Internet Control Message Protocol is the housekeeping protocol of the Internet. It performs a variety of important administrative functions. In this video, learn the basic functions of ICMP and how you can use ICMP to troubleshoot network issues with the ping and traceroute commands.
- [Instructor] The Internet Control Message Protocol,…ICMP, is the housekeeping protocol of the Internet.…It performs a variety of important administrative functions.…The ping command is one of the most basic…network troubleshooting commands available.…When a system sends a ping command over the network,…the receiving system responds with an acknowledgement.…It's the equivalent of one system asking another…are you there?…And the target system responding, yes I am.…
Although instead of asking these questions in English,…the ping command uses the ICMP protocol.…The are you there question is asked by sending a packet…known as an ICMP echo request.…The target system responds yes I am…by sending an ICMP echo reply.…Let's try this from the command line…using Terminal on a MacBook.…I'm going to try pinging the website…of the International Information Systems…Security Certification Consortium, or ISC Squared,…the creators of the CISSP exam.…
Their website is www.isc2.org,…so I'm going to go ahead and type in the command ping,…
- How IP addresses are assigned and managed
- Multilayer protocols
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Designing secure networks
- Firewall management techniques
- Maintaining network availability
- Software defined networking (SDN)
- Port isolation
- Network attacks
- How Wi-Fi networks function
- WPA, WPS, and propagation attacks
- Host-based network security control
Skill Level Advanced
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Networking
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Specialized Networking
5. Secure Network Management
6. Virtualized Networks
Port isolation1m 47s
7. Network Attacks
8. Transport Encryption
9. Wireless Networking
10. Host Security
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.