The defense in depth principle states that organizations should use multiple, overlapping security controls to achieve the same control objective. This is a layered approach to security and protects against the failure of any single security control. If one control fails, there is still another control designed to achieve the same objective standing in its place. In this video, learn the importance of a layered approach to security and how to build a defense in depth strategy.
- [Instructor] Defense in depth…is one of the core principles of information security…and it certainly applies in the case of network security.…The defense in depth principle states that…organizations should use multiple,…overlapping security controls…to achieve the same control objective.…This is a layered approach to security…and protects against the failure…of any single security control.…If one control fails,…there is still another control…designed to achieve the same security objective…standing in it's place.…
When designing a secure network,…you should definitely follow…this defense in depth principle.…Let's take a look at how we can apply…the defense in depth layered security approach…to three different network security control objectives.…First, all network security professionals…want to protect against eavesdropping attacks.…Unauthorized individuals should never have access…to confidential communications.…How might we implement this?…Encryption is always a strong first defense…against eavesdropping attacks.…
Note: This course is part of a series releasing throughout 2018. A completed learning path of the series will be available once all the courses are released.
- How IP addresses are assigned and managed
- Multilayer protocols
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Designing secure networks
- Firewall management techniques
- Maintaining network availability
- Software defined networking (SDN)
- Port isolation
- Network attacks
- How Wi-Fi networks function
- WPA, WPS, and propagation attacks
- Host-based network security control
Skill Level Advanced
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Intermediate
1. TCP/IP Networking
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Specialized Networking
5. Secure Network Management
6. Virtualized Networks
Port isolation1m 47s
7. Network Attacks
8. Transport Encryption
9. Wireless Networking
10. Host Security
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.