Network administrators and users are responsible for securing the wireless networks that they use. In this video, learn how to use basic wireless security techniques including limiting the use of SSID broadcasting, the use of MAC filtering, and using VPNs to secure wireless connections.
- Before we dive into the ways that you can use…wireless encryption to protect the confidentiality…of wireless networks, let's spend a moment…talking about some of the basic ways…that network administrators and users…can secure wireless networks.…First, wireless networks typically advertise themselves,…in order to make users aware that…they are running in an area.…Wireless networks do this by broadcasting an identifier…known as the Service Set Identifier, or SSID.…This is simply a short name used to identify…the wireless network, and you probably know it as…just the wireless network name.…
If we take a quick look at the wireless networks…available in my neighborhood,…I'm just going to pull down this…network name dropdown menu here,…and you can see all of these different networks…are visible to me.…These are networks running in other buildings in this area,…and each one of them is broadcasting its SSID.…For example, ABW is the SSID of this network.…Home-1C32 is the SSID of this network.…There's no requirement that you broadcast your SSID.…
Note: This course is part of a series releasing throughout 2018. A completed learning path of the series will be available once all the courses are released.
- How IP addresses are assigned and managed
- Multilayer protocols
- VPNs and VPN concentrators
- Designing secure networks
- Firewall management techniques
- Maintaining network availability
- Software defined networking (SDN)
- Port isolation
- Network attacks
- How Wi-Fi networks function
- WPA, WPS, and propagation attacks
- Host-based network security control
Skill Level Advanced
Insights from a Cybersecurity Professionalwith Mike Chapple32m 15s Appropriate for all
1. TCP/IP Networking
2. Network Security Devices
3. Designing Secure Networks
4. Specialized Networking
5. Secure Network Management
6. Virtualized Networks
Port isolation1m 47s
7. Network Attacks
8. Transport Encryption
9. Wireless Networking
10. Host Security
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.