File owners manage resource permissions by the creation of access control lists. An access control list is simply a table containing usernames and the permissions granted to each user on a resource. After completing this video, you will understand the purpose and use of access control lists, including Windows NTFS file permissions.
- [Narrator] In a discretionary access control system…resource owners have the ability to set and modify…permissions for other users of the system.…File owners manage resource permissions by the creation…of access control lists.…And access control list is simply a table containing…user names and their permissions granted to each user…of a resource.…For example, I might own a file on a computer governed…by a discretionary access control system and decide…that I want other users to access my file.…
I might grant one user the ability to edit the file…and a large group the ability to read the file.…Each one of these decisions would require an entry…in an access control list.…The NTFS file system used by Windows implements…access control lists and allows users to assign…a variety of permissions.…Full control is just what the name implies.…The user can perform any action on the file or folder.…Read permission allows the user to view the contents…of the file.…
Read and Execute permission goes beyond the read permission…
- Identity and access management overview
- Identification mechanisms: user names, access cards, biometrics, and registration
- Authentication factors
- Password authentication protocols
- Identity as a service (IDaaS)
- Enforcing accountability
- Managing credentials with policies
- Using access control lists
- Defending against access control attacks
Skill Level Advanced
1. Identity and Access Management
5. Credential Management
7. Access Control Attacks
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.