Learn how to enter the Sketcher.
- [Narrator] Here I want to talk about the start of the basic workflow within CATIA V5. So I'm going to go into File, New select part, select okay. Again, I get my New Part window that pops up, I'm going to leave the part name, just Part 1 by default, and make sure Enable Hybrid Design is turned off, and everything else is turned off, and select okay. Now that I've created my initial part, I'm going to go in, and create my first sketch.
I'm going to select my sketch icon, I'm going to pick my x-y plane, I can either pick it out of the tree or I can pick it in the window. You'll notice, as soon as I select my sketch plane, my view orients itself to the sketch. Here I have a whole bunch of new tools available to me now that I'm in the sketch toolbars, which I will be discussing in the next chapter. But for now, just want to talk about the workflow. So here, I'm just going to simply create a rectangle, I'm going to draw in from my origin point, out, and I'm going to draw in another rectangle, I'm going to draw in, and out.
Now that I have my dual rectangles drawn in, I'm going to trim away the extra curve that I don't need, just like that. Now that I have those removed, I'm just going to go ahead and apply a couple of fillets, enter in the radius that I want, and constrain my sketch. (mouse clicking) There we go, now that I have my sketch constrained, I'm going to exit out.
So that's the basic first step of any design, entering your part, creating a sketch on the appropriate plain, and you'll notice the sketch is now nested underneath the part body.
- Working with the CATIA v5 UI
- Understanding the menus
- Part visualizations
- Part design workflow
- Creating a sketch
- Basic editing
- Creating and editing sketch curves
- Part design
- Measures and analysis
- Building a project
Skill Level Beginner
Rapid Prototyping for Product Designwith Gabriel Corbett1h 38m Intermediate
Design Foundations: Physical Materialswith Scott Clear1h 31m Intermediate
Product Design: From Sketch to CADwith Jean Gorospe1h 16m Intermediate
1. Introduction to CATIA v5
2.The CATIA v5 User Interface
3. Part Design Workflow
4. Sketch Options and Settings
5. Creating and Editing Sketch Curves
6. Part Design
7. Measures and Analysis
8. Building a Product
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.