Join Brian Myers for an in-depth discussion in this video The value of self-promotion, part of BIM Management: Careers.
- [Instructor] An important part of advancing your career…is effective self-promotion.…Now I really like this definition of self-promotion,…which is that self-promotion is attempting…to present yourself to others…as an accomplished, capable, smart, and skilled person.…Now, that does not mean that you should actually lie…about what your capabilities are.…Instead, it's presenting yourself in such a way…that the positives show…and the value that you can bring to an organization shows…instead of anything that you still need to work on.…
Now, there's a variety of ways…that you can self-promote yourself,…and that's not just within your own organization,…but specifically to other people…outside of your organization…so that you can get the job that you want.…Some of these ways are cover letters,…your resume or CV,…portfolio work, being on LinkedIn,…your general online presence,…and going out into the public…and showing yourself in person,…giving presentations…and being involved in various different organizations.…
We've already touched on…
- Where do BIM managers come from?
- Certificate programs and industry degrees
- Coming from a nontraditional educational background
- Establishing a career plan
- Organizational roles, including CAD, BIM, and VDC manager positions
- Understanding where you fit in an organization
- Leveraging resources and support systems
- Resume tips
- Cultivating your online presence
Skill Level Beginner
BIM Manager: Managing CAD Standardswith Eric Wing55m 33s Intermediate
3. Organizational Roles
4. Office Environment
5. Required Skills
6. Resources and Support Systems
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.