There are many advantages that can be realized by moving the majority of the building phase offsite and into a controlled manufacturing environment. Jim lists many of these benefits which can include less material waste, improved quality, elimination of weather delays, and the ability to leverage modern manufacturing tools and techniques that are not possible in the traditional construction process.
- Now that we have a basic definition … of what I'll cover in this course … and I've given you a few examples of use cases, … I thought it would be helpful to take a look … at one company's take on what this all means … and how they have embraced these concepts. … Digital Building Components or DBC … is a modular prefabrication company … based here in my home State of Arizona. … This company was started as a spinoff … of a large national general contractor … who sees a significant future in this concept. … I sat down with one of the leaders at DBC … and she gave us a great overview … of their operations and goals. … - My name is Jenn Hawkins. … I lead the design and products group here. … The group is really focused on rethinking … standard construction details for factory production. … So we're interested in taking a design … for manufacturing approach to how we design our products, … which includes how we engineer them, … how we think about the logistics of procuring materials, … the installation and really ultimately how we create …
- What is modular construction?
- Advantages of modular construction
- Limitations of modular construction
- Combining on-site and premanufactured construction
- Benefits: Continuous improvement to sustainability