The history of computer science and the terms used in the construction industry are important to know. This video covers those topics and sets the stage for upcoming topics in the course.
- Computer science.…This is the study of computers, their uses for design,…computation, system control.…My field of study.…Now, I'm a lifelong nerd.…And when I say nerd, I mean full-blown 100% nerd.…Star Trek.…Little bit of Star Wars.…Anything to do with space.…Battlestar Galactica, which I strongly recommend.…These things really formed my worldview, growing up,…about technology and its capabilities,…which led me to get into writing software…about when I was 11.…
I got to really get involved in the early stages…of communication between computers.…Bulletin-Board Systems back in the early '90s, BBS.…Those viewers who actually were involved…know how epic and awesome a BBS was.…It was a really novel concept.…You would login, and you would send messages to your friend,…and post status updates.…Does that sound familiar at all?…That's right.…Social media's not new; we had it in the early '90s in BBSs.…But this is computer science.…It's using computers to do significant tasks…that the human brain simply is not geared up to do.…
Follow James Benham—the CEO of JBKnowledge, Inc.—as he explains how construction science and computer science are merging into one joint field of study. James shares essential terms that you need to know to speak intelligently about topics like the cloud and machine learning. Plus, he dives into topics like the Internet of Things, the evolution of drones, and 3D printing. To wrap up the course, he covers IT budgets, staffing, and investing in research and development.
- Learning about the origins of construction technology
- Reviewing essential construction tech terms
- Understanding the Internet of Things
- Reviewing the evolution of drones
- Learning about the 3D printing process
- Investing in IT
- Investing in research and development