Learn about the level of software skills you need to take this course.
- [Instructor] If you've never used SketchUp before, I recommend first taking the SketchUp Essentials course in the library, or becoming familiar with SketchUp on your own. Once you're comfortable with SketchUp's basic tool set, come back here and take this intermediate-level course. We're going to start with the big picture, looking at the orbital dynamics of the earth, and understand solstices and equinoxes. Then we're going to create a site-specific solar tool and use that tool in the context of an urban massing model to actually create our shadow study.
- Obtaining sunlight angles
- Geolocating a project site
- Geolocating a massing model
- Saving scenes at key times of day and year
- Analyzing shadows cast by trees
- Designing an awning using the solar tool
- Animating time-lapse shadows