In this video, Jim gives an overview of construction project management delivery methods and lists four of these methods—design-bid-build, design-build, construction manager at risk (CMAR), and integrated project delivery (IPD).
- As I said, construction is a large and very diverse industry. It involves many people playing many different roles to execute many different processes and procedures. If you're new to the construction industry, you might benefit from reviewing my Construction Management Foundations course first. It outlines these roles and processes and gives a good overview of how the industry as a whole is evolving. If you need a good basic understanding of how the construction process works from design through construction and on to commissioning and handoff, that course will lay it out for you.
In this course, I'll discuss project delivery methods that are being used in the construction industry today, and I'll be making comparisons to the design bid build method of project delivery, which I will refer to as the traditional method of project delivery. From time to time, I may also refer to design bid build as the old method, even though this method is still very prevalent throughout the entire industry. A project delivery method really defines the characteristics of how a project will be designed and built.
And, each method uniquely defines the responsibilities of each of the parties that are involved in that process. Those parties, for the purpose of this course, are going to include the owner, the designer, and the contractor or builder. And as I discuss each of the different methods, you'll begin to see how their roles and responsibilities are really impacted by the choice and delivery method. Throughout this course, you'll also have the opportunity to hear from other industry professionals to get their views on this topic. So, let's get started.
- Payment and procurement methods
- The design-bid-build method
- The design-build method
- Construction manager at risk (CMAR)
- Integrated project delivery (IPD)
- Selecting a project delivery method
- Procurement laws
- Delivering the best value to the owner
- Qualifications-based selection
- Changes in the way you are paid