Learn how to extend the power of Grasshopper, the visual programming tool for Rhino, with Python scripting.
- [Jeremy] The visual programming tool, Grasshopper for Rhino, has had a huge impact on how we generate and work with parametric models in the architecture, engineering, and construction industry. It is an ideal stepping stone into exploring programming concepts and techniques. In this course we will go beyond Grasshopper and into the world of Python scripting. Python is an easy to learn programming language that will allow us to extend Grasshopper's functionality by working directly with the Rhino's API, or application programming interface.
My name is Jeremy Graham, and I'm an architect specializing in computational design and building information modeling, or BIM workflows. We will start the course by building up a strong foundation of knowledge around Python basics, such as working with the different data types, conditionals, and looping, all while working with the Rhino API. We will then look at importing a variety of different libraries into Python to understand how we can extend the functionality of Grasshopper. To finish, we will look at some typical workflows that we might use in Python, such as lofting, sorting, and baking.
At the end of this course, you will have a strong understanding of how to use Python and Grasshopper and be well on the way to building powerful and fast scripts that push the boundaries of how we use Grasshopper. So let's go ahead and get started.
- Python components
- Accessing the Rhino API
- Python programming basics
- Importing modules and libraries
- Grasshopper workflows
- Evaluating surfaces
- Creating and splitting surfaces
- Transforming geometry
- Baking geometry from Python into Rhino
- Adding text objects
- Exporting rendered frames for animation
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Working with Python
2. Python Basics
3. Importing Modules and Libraries
4. Grasshopper Workflows
Next steps3m 53s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.