Discover how to work with concrete in today's construction industry. Learn about the history and usage of concrete, the principles of concrete reinforcing, and how pre-stressed concrete works.
- Concrete, the most versatile building material on the planet is found in virtually every construction project in one form or another. And it's been used for centuries to build some of the most recognizable structures on earth. I'm Jim Rogers and I'm excited to be talking to you today about a portion of the construction industry that really got me my start in construction. When I was 15 years old and I needed a job I had my choice between being a dishwasher at a restaurant and doing something that I did not understand at a company that did concrete construction.
Needless to say, I picked the concrete job. I got hooked and never looked back. Over the years I've helped build, repair, demolish, reinforce, design and troubleshoot concrete structures all over North America. I've consulted on projects around the world and served on international code committees. In this course, I'll be talking to you about concrete as a building material and how we work with concrete in today's modern construction industry. The demands on today's construction managers are always increasing.
If you work for a general contractor you need to be able to communicate effectively with the project's design team to discuss materials and processes. And you need to have enough knowledge to effectively manage your trade contractors to schedule activities on the site. If you work for one of those trade contractors chances are you may install, attach to, or somehow work with concrete. This course will give you a great foundation to begin to understand concrete and how it's used to build everything from footings and roads to towers and dams.
Whether you're new to the industry, just getting started with a construction management degree or you're a seasoned construction veteran who just needs to learn more about concrete stick with me and let's find out just how much of this material we use around the world.
- Concrete versus cement
- Ingredients and terminology
- The chemistry of concrete
- Pozzolans and industrial by-products
- Using concrete as a building material
- Strategies to manage cracking
- Pre-stressed concrete
- Active versus passive reinforcing
- Pre-tensioning versus post-tensioning