Discover the steps needed to develop a proper construction plan, and learn how to transform that plan into a schedule.
- Hi, and welcome to another course in our Construction Management series. I'm Jim Rogers, and in this course, I'm going to cover the topics of planning and scheduling. Now if you noticed there, I used the term topics, plural, because planning and scheduling are two different activities. Like many other topics in construction, they're very closely linked, but they are two different activities that begin at two different times in the construction process. Planning and scheduling are critical skills for today's construction management professional, so join me as I run through the how's and the why's of planning and scheduling.
Along the way, I'll share some stories of my successes in the realm of construction planning and scheduling, along with a few of my failures, so that you gain an understanding of the importance of proper planning and accurate scheduling. Stick with me, and let's jump into the course.
This course identifies the steps needed to develop a proper plan, and demonstrates how that plan is transformed into a construction schedule. Throughout the course, instructor Jim Rogers shares examples of his own successes and failures in the areas of construction planning and scheduling, so as to lend real-world context to the concepts he covers.
- Types of schedules
- Planning versus scheduling
- Work breakdown structure
- Developing a schedule
- Creating a network model
- Assigning durations, costs, and resources
- Identifying the critical path
- Letting the software do the calculations
- Checking and updating the schedule
- Scheduling's impact on productivity