Often, the materials used in industrial design cannot be handled by human hands. In this video, see how robotics can help when working with certain types of materials.
- We're at the LACI model shop right now, and with me is Mohammad from Perception Robotics. They are one of the companies, one of the portfolio companies here at LACI that is working in the model shop and it's a real time shop where we can actually see some of the things they have been doing. And in this form we can see that there's actually, I see you've got, looks like 3D printing, maybe some C&C Machining and some laser. Can you walk us through this? - Yeah sure. - And how you did this? - Sure. This is the first prototype of our product.
And a new product that we want to make. The company makes it here, nothing else outside. It's got some standard parts that we can buy somewhere but most of the parts here we can see, is just built here. Like this part is the 2D printed, we have parts here that's aluminum made by Water Jet. A lot of the accurate parts here are made by the laser cutting machine. And some parts inside is built by the C&C Machine and a lot of screws and standard parts.
But this is a prototype that's made a couple every year. - So this prototype, it sounds like you did a lot of materials, a lot of different process, a lot of complexity. Is this working? - Yeah sure. - Alright - You want to see? - Yeah can you show us what this, - Sure. - How this works? - So it's actually going down and claws it, grips it, pick it up and going back and release it. This is the robotic actuation that we make and couple with design here in this company.
And it's going to be installed in the factory in the next three weeks. - And what is it picking up? - So it can basically pick up any flat object, like glass, glass sheets, like solar panels, glass sheets, actually or metal sheets, any kind of metal sheets it can pick up, anything that's flat and smooth basically is working.
- That's really, that's really cool. We found company that's actually moving materials with materials. - Yeah sure. - There you have it, Perception Robotics. Working the LACI Model shop. Thank you Mohammad and thank you for - Thank you for having me. - Demonstrating this, it's a beautiful model. Thanks for sharing with us. - Thanks for stopping by. - Thank you.
- How designers find prototyping options
- Innovation and ideas in design
- Exploring a lab for prototyping and manufacturing
- Practical application of a robotics prototype
- Touring the labs at a prototyping facility
- Basics of prototyping a new product
- Reviewing the manufacturing process