In this video, take a look at the practical application of the automotive design materials applied in a Nissan Maxima.
- We're at Nissan Design America in San Diego and I'm here again with Brenda Parkins. Nissan was kind enough to loan us this Nissan Maxima to show exactly how we're going to see how these apply. So Brenda, maybe you could kind of take us through a couple of these examples. - The purpose of a master is to make sure that you hold the same quality throughout the production life cycle because you're making massive amounts of quantities of materials from start to finish.
You know, there's different dialogues, there's different timing that the materials are being manufactured, so we create these masters to just cross-check, to make sure that everything is continually matched throughout the car. - So, with this one, you also had another sample here. The same, you just kind of cross-match, cross-reference, you bend it, you-- - Right, there's features a little bit different, I mean, depending on the material that you're looking at. Like this is a textile, but, for instance, like a paint, you need to check it a couple different ways.
You need to look at what's called the face, the flop, the flake size, there's a lot. Each one has its own way of evaluating. - That's great. Well, Brenda, I really appreciate you spending the time with us and taking us through this journey of what a color expert does with taking it from your inspiration to what we see with the production. We want to iterate just how important it was to see Brenda's process, and how she comes from inspiration to production.
And a big shout-out to Nissan. Nissan, thank you very much for lending us this beautiful car, and for loaning your studio. And Brenda, thank you again, very much. - Thank you for coming.
- How the five senses influence design
- Finding inspiration from nature
- Creating a product from a sustainable material
- Practical application of automotive design
- Product and transportation design
- Custom materials for manufacturing
- Reviewing options for custom materials
- Labs that create custom materials
- Exploring new applications of product materials for product design