When the majority of the building phase of a project can be accomplished offsite, the schedule can be compressed. In this video, Jim explains that much of the off site modular components can be built during the land development phase of a project, allowing those two phases to occur simultaneously.
- When we talk about changing the way we build things, … or adopting new methods, … the first question I typically hear is, why? … That's a good question. … I'm not a proponent of changing for the sake of change. … There needs to be some advantages. … Is it less expensive? … Is it faster? Is it safer? … Do I get better quality? … Well, in this case, … the answer could be yes to all of these questions. … It just depends on the application. … Some of the advantages … of prefabricating modular components offsite … will have direct impacts on the owner of the facility. … Since the architect commonly acts … as the owner's representative during construction, … I asked Alison to talk about those impacts. … - The idea of prefabrication comes up in our projects … very early on in the project discussion, … usually among our ourselves, our clients, … and our contractor partners. … And it usually comes up as a, … as a talking point around schedule savings. … It's very important, … time on a construction site equals money …
- What is modular construction?
- Advantages of modular construction
- Limitations of modular construction
- Combining on-site and premanufactured construction
- Benefits: Continuous improvement to sustainability