Join Marc Asnis for an in-depth discussion in this video How I became an urban designer, part of Strategic Planning and Urban Design Foundations.
- So how did I end up as an urban designer?…Well, when I look back on it, it all feels fairly natural.…I mean, I can remember being a kid…and just drawing skylines all day.…All I wanted to do was draw cities, and draw landmarks,…and places that I'd never been to.…I was just always fascinated with different cities…and different places that I knew I wanted…to travel to one day.…And I actually did get that chance when I was…in architecture school.…I got to go and live in two cities in Europe,…Copenhagen, Denmark and Porto, Portugal.…
And Copenhagen just pretty much blew my mind.…Because I'd never been in a place where so many people…were choosing to ride their bikes to pretty much anywhere…they needed to go.…And then when I was in Portugal,…I was so enamored with public spaces, these public squares.…And I would sit there for hours…and I would just observe people.…So I went to my academic advisor and told him,…this is my trajectory, this is what I want to do.…And he was like, well, I do research and I work…as an inclusive urbanist.…
- What does an urban designer do?
- Why is urban design important?
- Urban design frameworks
- What is a city growth strategy?
- Creating a biophilic city
- Designing a healthy neighborhood
- Planning a neighborhood site
- Green buildings and preservation
- Streetscape design