- How the five senses influence design
- Finding inspiration from nature
- Creating a product from a sustainable material
- Practical application of automotive design
- Product and transportation design
- Custom materials for manufacturing
- Reviewing options for custom materials
- Labs that create custom materials
- Exploring new applications of product materials for product design
Skill Level Appropriate for all
- Have you ever looked at a product and wondered why it was made out of that specific material? In this course, we're going to look at things creatively. It's going to be a little bit different than you would see probably in an engineering course or taught as a science course or manufacturing course. In this course, we're going to give you practical understandings in areas of prototyping and manufacturing that are looked out a different lens. We're going to look at it through the creative lens of a designer and an architect. Hi, I'm Scott Clear. I'm the Chief Design & Innovation Officer at RKS, and I'm also the subject matter expert of materials and processes at the Domus Academy.
In this course, we're going to visit one of the world's top automotive design studios and talk to them about a color project. Then we're going to talk to an aviation designer and she's going to walk us through one of her recent case studies. We will also go to a custom materials manufacturer, and they make materials specifically for architects. The intention of laying out the course in this particular way was to share with you in a short period of time people, situations that have literally taken me decades to experience myself.
There's lots to cover, so let's get started.