One of the things that trips up novice C++ developer is the apparent craze of how things are named. Troy explains the reasons for the madness in this video.
- [Instructor] Many C++ programmers…find C++ names confusing.…Why are the names so short and cryptic?…Why does it use snake casing instead of camel…or Pascal casing?…The main reason for this is C++ is old,…and the names and the naming style are older still.…The roots of this naming style go back to Unix…and the language created to make it portable, C.…During the '70s, machines had limitations,…and typing into terminals wasn't fun,…so Unix operators preferred shorter commands,…and to ensure portability, all commands were lowercase.…
If C++ tried to switch to Pascal casing,…it wouldn't solve any problem, but it would cause chaos.…
- Major new C++ features
- Turning on modern C++
- Letting the compiler help
- Using the new features correctly
- Using auto type deduction
- Using lambdas
- Range-based for loops
- How C++ and the Standard Template Library name things
- Making the best of the filesystem library
- Managing objects
Skill Level Beginner
1. What Is Modern C++?
2. Tools That Improve Your Code
3. Using the New Features Correctly
4. Don't Reinvent the Wheel
5. Managing Objects
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.