Join Dan Gookin for an in-depth discussion in this video Fetching specific web data, part of Code Clinic: C.
- In this movie, I cover my approach…to fetching web data.…The task is to complete the specific assignment for the…Code Clinic Exploring Lake Pend Oreille Challenge.…The standard C library doesn't contain routines…for reading web data.…To accomplish that I had to find a library…that would access the information.…The obvious choice is libcurl available from…curl.haxx.se/libcurl.…Yes, that's a Swedish website.…I used Homebrew on my Mac…to download and install the library.…
I then built the soft links to the header file…in the library so that I could…compile and build the source code.…On the PC you can use the Cygwin setup utility…to add the libcurl library.…It sets up and configures everything for you.…Having never used libcurl before,…my first experiment was to see…whether I could code a program…that would successfully fetch…the web pages in question.…Sample code on the libcurl website assisted,…but the problem was that the website text…was also sent to standard to output.…So I had to figure out how to save…the site data to memory.…
Dan introduces challenges and then provides an overview of his solutions in C. Challenges include topics such as statistical analysis, searching directories for images, and accessing peripheral devices.
Skill Level Beginner
Q: I am unable to access the Lake Pend Oreille data from outside the U.S.
A: A static copy of this data is provided <a href="https://github.com/lyndadotcom/LPO_weatherdata">here</a> for lynda.com members outside of the U.S.
1. Problem One: Exploring Lake Pend Oreille
2. Problem Two: Image Analysis
3. Problem Three: Eight Queens
4. Problem Four: Accessing Peripherals
5. Problem Five: Recursion and Directories
6. Problem Six: Building the Web
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.