- One of the places you'll see pointers used…the most and something that you truly can't avoid…in the C language,…is where a function requires or returns a pointer value.…Happens a lot.…This movie helps you deal with pointer functions,…even create your own.…You'll see how pointers are used in functions,…how to pass a pointer to a function,…and how to return a pointer from a function.…You've all ready seen pointers used in functions…in this course.…You probably just didn't recognize…that's what was happening.…
The scan F function uses pointer values,…specifically, memory locations of the variables it reads.…The ampersand in line eight reads the address…of variable eight and sends that address…to the scan F function.…You know, scan F's turn value isn't used in the function.…Instead, the function simply uses a pointer…to assign the value to variable X directly.…Clever, huh?…In exercise scan F2, which I have on the screen here,…the ampersand is not required for the name variable,…why, because name is an array.…
Array's are pretty much pointers in disguised.…
- Understanding a C program
- Adding comments
- Using escape characters
- Working with values and placeholders
- Introducing variables
- Making a decision with if
- Adding functions
- Manipulating strings
- Building arrays
- Nesting structures
Skill Level Beginner
1. Getting Started
2. Programming Basics
3. Program Flow Control
4. Intermediate C Language Concepts
5. Advanced C Language Concepts
Next steps2m 11s
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
This will not affect your course history, your reports, or your certificates of completion for this course.Cancel
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.
Notes are saved with you account but can also be exported as plain text, MS Word, PDF, Google Doc, or Evernote.