A lot of companies have amazing onboarding and training programs. But training doesn't typically address things like, "Susan prefers you clock in after you get your coffee." Get insight into how you can uncover the unspoken rules of the workplace, and what to do when you accidentally break one.
- A lot of companies have really comprehensive on-boarding…and training program, but training doesn't always address…things like, Susan prefers you clock in…after you get your coffee or Dan hates it when we say yeah…instead of yes.…I was guilty of this once.…Well, probably a lot more than once,…but one specific example springs to mind.…I was working as a part-time receptionist…in an office during college.…And being a college kid, I often responded to thank you…with no problem or of course, not you're welcome.…
Well, little did I know, it was one…of the big boss's huge pet peeves.…Thankfully, another seasoned employee was nice enough…to let me know.…And that, my friends, is the secret…to picking up on the unspoken rules of work.…You need to find a workplace buddy, an alliance,…someone who will save you from those unspoken rule mistakes.…This person might appoint themselves,…like the raging extrovert who came right up…to you on your first day and said they're happy…to answer any questions.…
Or you might have to seek them out.…
- Identify the major financial pillars in a retail-based business.
- Prepare for your first day by overviewing staff, products, and logistics in advance.
- Recognize the high value times to speak up and ask questions.
- Recall how to prioritize and position opportunities for improvement.
- Explore how to distinguish yourself as the most valuable player in the eyes of your boss.