Humans tend to forget about their first impressions because they're busy coming up with the perfect elevator pitch or a clever opening line. But none of that matters if you can't nail your first impression. Learn how a small bit of concerted effort right away can set you up for a winning long-term relationship.
- Here's the big problem most professionals face,…we tend to put all of our focus on crafting…the perfect elevator pitch.…Coming up with clever answers…or telling impressive anecdotes in meetings,…interviews and while networking.…The problem is that none of that matters…unless you can nail your first impression.…Like a lever,…first impressions make all of your interactions easier.…No matter how well you answer an interviewer's question,…no matter how beautiful your slides are,…no matter how many brilliant points you make in a speech,…if you have a bad first impression…it's almost impossible to recover.…
Researchers at Cornell University found…this is even true after looking at someone's photo.…First impressions formed simply from looking at a photograph…predicted how someone felt about a person,…even after a live interaction.…Yep, the old cliche is true.…Even after having read the book,…one still judges a book by its cover.…This isn't just the way we look, or what we wear.…It's also how we carry ourselves,…our facial expressions, our vocal power,…
- Cite some shortcuts to a great first impression.
- Define a thin-slice.
- Summarize what people who meet you for the first time are trying to determine.
- Explain the importance of the perfect handshake.
- Recall the characteristics of an excellent opening line.
- Describe ways to become a better conversationalist.