This video explores several employee development tools you can use to capture initial goals, develop self-awareness, and do career visioning work.
- At this point, you have all of the essentials … to begin coaching your people. … Right now, I want to give you a self-assessment … called the Discovery Questionnaire … that will deepen your coaching toolbox. … The Discovery Questionnaire is a set of questions … that help you create a foundation … for working with your employees. … Now for some people, completing the questionnaire … may be the first time they've ever thought deeply … about the bigger questions in their work and life. … And for you, the answers they provide … may reveal new or unexpected strengths … that can be tapped in the future. … The questionnaire first focuses … on assessing your employee's current role, … with questions like, what do you love about your work, … and what do you wish you could change? … Next, the questionnaire captures achievements and goals, … by asking questions like, … what do you want to accomplish this year, … or, where you do see yourself in the next five years? … The next area of the assessment deals with …
- Recall methods for probing deeper in conversations with employees.
- Determine which aspect of a challenge to avoid when determining the challenge an employee can undertake.
- Recognize questions that generate the greatest number of ideas during a brainstorming session.
- Explain the advantage of using focused feedback with an employee.
- Identify the potential benefits of listening and using open-ended questions with an employee who is unhappy with her or her job.