In this video, gain ideas for simply being direct by using phrases such as "That was offensive." or "That term makes me uncomfortable." and more.
- Some of us are people pleasers. … Others are shy or avoid conflict, … or we're taught to keep our feelings to ourselves. … But being direct is a wonderful skill … that can help you create a better workplace. … Directness is honest and authentic. … It demonstrates respect for others and shows your integrity, … and it can change the course of a negative interaction. … Let's check it out. … - By the way, guys, I don't know … what's going on with the boss today, … but she's in a pretty bad mood, so … - Yeah. … - I'd stay clear. … - Yeah, I know she's been pretty stressed out. … She lost one of her employees, … and she's trying to replace her. … So I'm sure she didn't mean to take it out on you. … - Nah, I'm pretty sure it's that time of the month. … - Um, dude, I think that was … a pretty offensive thing to say. … - I was just joking around, man. … - No, no, I get it. … We all like to joke around, … but just be a little bit more respectful here. … Anyway, let's just get back to this. … - Yeah, thanks, Brad. …
- Creating an upstander culture
- Setting behavioral standards
- Understanding your role as an upstander
- Overcoming fear and uncertainty
- Leveraging tools and scripts for standing up