Learn smart strategies that can help you prepare for a salary negotiation, discuss your strengths, and follow up to achieve agreement.
- Let's face it. Many people are afraid to negotiate their salary. But where do these fears come from? Many fears come from not knowing what to expect and not knowing what to ask. During this course, I'll guide you through resources and considerations to face your fears in negotiation. We'll discuss prepping before the negotiation and take you through to starting your new position. My name is Valerie Sutton and what interests me is how a person progresses throughout their career. My work and research focuses, not only, on career decisions, but also how to manage the process throughout a person's career.
So your next step is to understand your fears in the negotiation process, develop an effective strategy to overcome them and ask for the salary you deserve. Remember that when you're asking for a better compensation package, you're advocating for yourself.
- Recall what percentage of total compensations is through a benefits package.
- Explain which approach to begin within during a negotiation process.
- Recognize characteristics of a host-based approach.
- Identify the purpose of an equity review.
- Determine which steps to take when leaving a job for another.