If your daily work involves interacting with a technical team (as a manager, team member, project manager, finance personnel, administrative support, or as a customer) use the strategies in this course for more effective communication and collaboration.
- So, who can benefit from this course? Well, I honestly think the answer is everyone who needs to interact with a technical team. The obvious people first. Everyone on the team who doesn't have a tech background. Managers are put in place because they're good with people and process. Extremely valuable skills, right? But that doesn't mean that they can do every task of every team member, nor should they need to. Administrative staff have their own skills and strengths.
They're there to provide support for the tech workers, but it's not necessary for them to know all of the details of all the work. I think it's broader than just the core team, too. For instance, a project manager may be leading a project that includes development and deployment of technical solutions from more than one team. The project manager's job is knowing the tasks that need to get done and keeping the people on track. Not knowing how everything happens. And what about finance or personnel staff who aren't part of the team, but interact with them regularly? My opinion is that having at least a general understanding of what the technical team does will provide better communications and cooperation between them.
Then there's leadership. Leaders are there to provide overall strategy and vision, not do daily production. But unless they understand the way their technical teams work and their overall responsibilities, how can leaders possibly factor that in to that overarching strategy, or effectively communicate the strategy to their teams? But there's still another group. How about the customers of the tech teams? Now, to me, that's everyone who eventually has to use the technology they're developing and maintaining.
Much too often I've seen this last group baffled and frustrated. They not only don't know how to ask for the things they need. They often don't have any common ground for communication when it comes to talking with technology. So, the short answer to who can benefit from this course? Everyone.
- Identifying your role on a technical team
- Communicating with technical people
- Getting past uncertainty to succeed in your role
- Understanding the manager's role on a technical team
- Enforcing business processes
- Developing your team members
- Leading a technical team
- Supporting flexible working habits