As governments attempt to keep all citizens safe from COVID, they are employing increasingly aggressive surveillance mechanisms. Learn about some of the ways governments are surveilling citizens for COVID, as well as steps you can take to protect your privacy during this pandemic.
- Contact tracing is seen as a key tool … in the fight against COVID, … but it has serious implications for individual privacy. … Today, technology and in particular, our cell phones, … are seen as a key tool in the fight against COVID-19. … But the implications for individual privacy … are important to understand. … So let's discuss the basic technologies underlying the apps, … location, and Bluetooth. … Some apps use location tracking, … and they identify a person's contacts … by tracking the phone's movements, for instance, … using GPS or triangulation from nearby cell towers … and looking for other phones that have spent time … in the same location. … Some systems use proximity tracking … in which phones swap encrypted tokens … with any other nearby phones over Bluetooth. … And it's easier to anonymize and generally considered better … for privacy than location tracking. … Some contact tracing apps use low-energy Bluetooth signals … to anonymously log the nearby presence of other users …
- Describe the risks of impaired privacy.
- Explain how technology can be used to track location and proximity.
- Describe precautions you should use when working from home.
- Explain precautions you should take before allowing your child to use devices with internet connectivity.