Speaking in public can lead to anxiety. In this video, explore the common reasons people are not confident speakers.
- Ever notice how some people who speak with confidence … in everyday conversation … or in meetings at work or school suddenly become stilted … when they stand and speak in a group setting? … The person who two minutes ago … was interesting, engaging, and confident … now comes across as boring, disconnected … and lacking in confidence. … What happened? … Why is it that someone relaxed and confident … in everyday conversation … can't be the same way always? … After all, in one on one conversation or informal settings … they can be great communicators. … The problem is that a wave of awkwardness washes over people … as soon as the spotlight is on them. … They're fine just chatting … but when all eyes are on them … anxiety takes over. … Part of the reason might actually be primal, you know. … Neuroscientists tell us the ability to zero in on a target … by fixing your gaze on the target … was necessary for hunting prey. … So, back in the days when human beings lived in caves … and were hunter-gatherers …
- Organizing your thoughts
- Speaking slowly, naturally, and confidently
- Breathing properly
- Using your body to reinforce speech
- Managing facial expressions
- Handling nervousness
- Voice modulation, eye contact, and gestures
Skill Level Intermediate
1. Be a Better Communicator
2. Honing Your Message
3. Say It Like You Mean It
4. Look Like You Mean It
5. Confronting Anxiety
- Mark as unwatched
- Mark all as unwatched
Are you sure you want to mark all the videos in this course as unwatched?
Take notes with your new membership!
Type in the entry box, then click Enter to save your note.
1:30Press on any video thumbnail to jump immediately to the timecode shown.