In this video, explore the process of building trust, including why face-to-face meetings are worth the investment.
- Global project teams tell us how trust…is one of their secrets to successful outcomes.…It's worthwhile mentioning that trust…is something every team member should take ownership of.…Physical separation is a barrier that often creates…an us versus them mindset that also diminishes trust.…By far, the best way to begin the process…of building trust in a global project team…is to plan for face-to-face meetings…at the beginning and during the project.…
When people don't really know each other,…there's a tendency to relate to those guys…in a superior tone, creating an atmosphere of distrust.…Being physically in front of others…can help remove the negative effects of distance.…I often hear that there's no budget for such meetings,…to which I'll argue that without trust,…a lot more money might be lost during the project.…In addition to face-to-face meetings,…here are some key elements that can help.…Being consistent in the quality and timeliness of your work…will show others that you're reliable.…
This is something you should expect from every team member.…
- Recall how agreeing on a common language improves communication between global team members.
- Recognize the importance of a technical language skill level that includes relevant business vocabulary and terms.
- Explore how to correlate successful interactions with trust and respect.
- Identify obstacles to clear global communication including time zones, culture, and physical distance.
- Recall how to implement role clarity so that every team member understands their responsibilities.
- Review how the development of strong unambiguous commitments helps drive accountability.
- Explore how a one-team culture aligns everyone on the global team.
- Recognize the signs of a continuous improvement mindset in your global team.