- Identify one way to overcome the negative emotions you experience when you don’t feel like doing a task you’ve committed to.
- Assess the best place to place your focus when following through.
- Recall what you can do to improve the situation with your coworkers when you cannot meet an obligation you committed to.
- List the kind of tasks that can be accomplished through background-tasking.
- Explain a technique for cultivating patience.
Skill Level Beginner
- When you say you're going to perform a task, do you always follow through? Do you do what you said you would do by the time you said you would do it? Hi, I'm Dave Crenshaw, and in this course we'll explore ways to improve your follow-through on all your many tasks. In training people in organizations of every size, from Fortune 500 companies to freelancers, I've discovered that perhaps the most crucial skill in determining career success is follow-through. Yet this is far easier said than done, isn't it? In this course we'll explore a bit of the psychology of following through, such as why we procrastinate, how to overcome it, and how to move past analysis paralysis. We'll also explore steps you can take to make follow-through easier, such as committing to your calendar, dealing with tasks that take longer than expected, and making yourself accountable to someone else. Our goal in this tips course is not to help you be perfect, but to help you make progress. The better you become at following through on commitments, the more successful you'll be in any career. Let's begin.